Trump menace le Nigeria d’actions militaires suite aux attaques terroristes contre les chrétiens – Le Jeune Indépendant


US President Donald Trump on Sunday repeated his threats of military intervention in Nigeria, due to what he claims is persecution of Christians. His Nigerian counterpart Bola Ahmed Tinubu offers him a meeting “in the coming days”.

Asked whether he was considering ground intervention or airstrikes in Nigeria, the US president responded aboard the presidential plane Air Force One: “It could be many things. I’m considering a lot of things […] They are killing Christians and they are killing them in very large numbers. We are not going to let this happen,” he said.

The day before, Donald Trump had already threatened Nigeria with military action if the country did not stop what the Republican billionaire considers to be “murders of Christians” by “Islamist terrorists”.

The Nigerian president says he is ready to meet Donald Trump to discuss the “murders of Christians”.

“President Trump helped Nigeria a lot by authorizing the sale of arms to this country and President Tinubu was able to take advantage of this opportunity in the fight against terrorism, which allowed us to obtain considerable results,” Daniel Bwala, communications advisor to the Nigerian presidency, wrote on the social network X on Sunday.

“As to whether terrorists in Nigeria are targeting only Christians or in fact all faiths and non-believers, these will be discussed and resolved by the two leaders when they meet in the coming days, either at the State House or the White House,” he added.

These threats from Donald Trump come after months of lobbying from conservative American elected officials who believe that Christians in Nigeria are facing a “genocide”.

These accusations were also relayed by Christian and evangelical associations and resonated with far-right European politicians, although they are doubted by experts.

Nigeria is plagued by security problems. The northeast region is a hotbed of terrorist groups that have killed more than 40,000 people and displaced more than two million people since 2009, according to United Nations estimates.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Address
Enable Notifications OK No thanks